School photos are irreplaceable memories and getting children to smile on cue is a special talent. Mark has been capturing those smiling faces, kindergarten through high school graduation for over 25 years – his talent shows in every portrait he takes! From the first greeting to the last delivery, it’s important to us that you are happy with our service and results. We are proud to offer friendly customer support and quality products at affordable prices. Mark’s Photographic Images is truly a local studio, located in Armour, SD and we genuinely care about the students we photograph, and our school communities.
You deserve the best – at Mark’s Photographic Images we guarantee that you will be completely satisfied. Each circumstance is unique and we are flexible and customer friendly with our policies.
We are the people at Mark’s:
Mark VanDerWerff, photographer & owner
Margaret VanDerWerff, graphic artist
Teresa VandenBerge, production and design
Jessica Brouwer, school assistant
Mark’s Photographic Images has been in Armour for years… we all live here for the same reasons: we love all the family that’s around and the laid back atmosphere of small communities. We also love photography, meeting new people and having fun.
Mark is an award winning professional who is committed to the art of portrait photography. He is recognized by his peers as a leader, recently completing his tenure on the regional Northern Light Association board, having served as president of the SD Professional Photographers of America, and receiving the PPA National Award for the state of SD.
In their free time Mark, and his wife, Margaret, are “friends to beginning photographers,” love to golf, camp, road-bike, and hang out with their families. They also have a passion for travel, often visiting the full time missionaries that they support in needy places around the world, and sharing the message of God’s unfailing love.
Our Hours and Location:
Mark’s regular business hours are Tuesday thru Friday 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. We are open by appointment on Saturdays & Mondays. Sundays, Mark’s is closed so that staff can spend time with their families. If you need a later appointment time, just call. We strive to be accommodating. Mark’s is located directly north of the town limits of Armour, SD on US Hwy 281.
Our Picture Day Tips:
Use these tips to help your child get ready for a great-looking school portrait that you’ll treasure forever.
- Help your child pick out clothes and colors that look good on them. After all, your child is the star of the photo—not their shirt, so avoid slogans, logos, and big patterns. Small jewelry and accessories are fine but nothing too big or distracting. Some Spring shoot poses may show pants or skirts, so plan the complete outfit.
- Glasses are okay! Mark knows all the tricks to reduce glare.
- Scheduling haircuts a few weeks ahead of time allows hair to grow back a little, or you can go for the fresh-cut look.
- No need to practice smiles ahead of time, this can make them look fake when picture time arrives. Let kids relaxed and ready to be themselves.
- Don’t worry about “perfect”! That hair that always sticks up or a missing tooth shows your child just as they are right now—and you’ll enjoy looking back on that for years to come. On Picture Day, Mark will help straighten hair, collars and check posture. Remember, if you like, we do have retouching options for scrapes and blemishes.
That’s it! Mark is a pro at making Picture Day fun and worry-free. Order online now!